So now that people are getting their printers together and getting their first prints done I thought it would be good to start a discussion where we can help each other figure out the best settings for prints.
So I've now printed almost a half dozen benchy's but still haven't had much luck.
Here's where I am so far.
One of these is not like the other. It's not the calibration cube.
So I've tried:
Backed off on the flow rate.
Double checked the extruders steps per mm.
I thought it could be the filament. I swapped from the blue to the red. No difference.
I thought that maybe both spools were sub par so I got a known good spool of Tecbears PLA. No difference.
That brings me to the last benchy on the right. That is printed with the blue PLA that came with the printer. Except, it wasn't printed on the AXIS printer. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the filament :(
Some thoughts on things to try:
Fix lead screw and lead screw coupler. There seems to be some odd pop every now and then. At the moment I don't think it's the biggest contributing factor but if everything else was fine I'm sure it would show up.
Fix lead screw wobble. Mine processes around around. Probably in a 1-1.5cm diameter at the top. Such much so that it almost skates off the bracket.
Make new build plate guides. They're either too tight or too loose and the plate wobbles.
The y-axis guides on the gantry. These suffer the cause the same problem as the build plate.
The y-axis gantry itself. It doesn't seem stiff enough. I can watch it sway in the x-axis direction when there are multiple quick moves of the build plate. I'm not sure how to address this. The problem is pronounced when the print head is out towards the end of the gantry.
Part cooling. I'm not really thrilled with it. Cooling isn't a huge thing but I noticed results when changing a set up on my other printer.
The hotend. Not really thrilled with this either. I have one I've pulled off an Ender 3. It looks like it might fight the spacing of the two bolts that the belt are attached to. I haven't measure yet.
I'm kinda grasping at straws here. Thoughts are welcome.
Oh, I also tried setting up the printer in PrusaSlicer. Here's the first benchy:
Some layers at the bottom look good. Then it gets off as it goes up. I'm not too concerned with the stringing. That's something I've yet to figure out how to fix in PrusaSlicer no matter the printer. One thing I thought about when this was pulled off the printer. I think adding clips might help. It's kinda easy to move the build plate. I wonder if that's causing slight layer shifts. This might be especially true with what I consider to be fast travel moves.