TL;DR: please post pictures of dual color prints First of all, sorry for my broken English, I once again have to rely on the power of grammarly. Next is a small overview of my experience so far:
******** start of journey to hell ******** * bought the proforge 3 as a kit will all upgrades.
* assembled the kit wit the direct drive extruder and followed all manuals because I didn't want to be the cause of any possible problems.
* had all the issues everybody else had:
- belts jumping off
- extruder clogging
- missing parts
* decided to convert to the DSH * followed the manual to the letter but printing with marlin and the provided cura profiles gave me:
- probing inconsistency, every time I had to babystep before a print (and yes I saved the settings)
- filament sensors didn't work with octoprint
* First Marlin firmware version provided by Makertech broke the servo motor after a while because it
always stays on and overheats. This is fixed in the new firmware
* thermistor broke - but that's probably my own fault - so took the 2nd high temp thermistor from the direct drive
* one of the fans on the heatblock broke. Didn't bother anymore to ask a replacement to makertech and took a spare one I had lying around (with flashy LED's - woop woop). Side-note: Sometimes it helps to grease a fan but I didn't find a way to do this on the ones provided without breaking them. ******** end of journey to hell ********
So what did I do to try to make it a somewhat functional printer:
* swapped the bearings for the belts to the one's suggested in this thread: https://www.forum.makertech3d.com/forum/proforge-3-3d-printing/upgrade-idler-pulleys and it does wonders
* Installed Cura 5.0 and created a somewhat basic profile from scratch
* Installed Klipper based on the profile at https://www.forum.makertech3d.com/forum/proforge-3-general-discussion/klipper-on-the-proforge3
Why: because Klipper rules and Marlin sucks 😏, also Z-offset is finally consistent
With my limited skill set I added following features in the printer menu: - Tune menu:
* change in realtime the Z offset of the first hotend
* change in realtime the X Y and Z offset of the 2nd hotend for easy tuning
- Calibrate menu:
* z-probe offset with Lift Z in the menu
* Servo menu:
- Similar function like in Marlin to switch between T0 T1 and mid position so you can easily install the servo arm
- set the angle for the servo for T0 and T1 so you can finetune the switching. - Changed default PID tune behaviour in the menu so you can select the target temperature
What I want to achieve in the future:
* adjust filament menu so I can easily load/unload filament
* M600 (maybe)
* clean up code because naming convention is bleh.
Next are some pictures from some prints which I made with the super cheap pla+ filament from GST3D, a company where quality-control is none-existent. So you can clearly see the brown filament having more issues.
So my question to you guys is: can you post some successful dual color prints you made with your proforge 3 on the original marlin firmware and cura makertech edition so I can compare?