I thought I could share my current configuration since I've made a few modifications compared to the factory setup. Some of these modifications were directly taken from what has been shared on this forum. Thanks to all contributors!
Feel free to comment and post suggestions :-) I'm likely going to try Klipper.
1 Initial configuration
Mic-6 hot bed
Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM
Synchronization belt for Z steppers (https://www.forum.makertech3d.com/forum/proforge-3-3d-printing/upgrades).
Changed the two heat-breaks for bi-metal (copper/titan) heat-breaks to prevent heat-creep issue occurring on long PLA prints.
Added 15mm of a 6mm PE tube inside the cable housing going to the print head to add more rigidity and prevent all the cables to hit the heated bed during prints.
2.2 Silencing the printer
Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX + NA-RC10 + for electronic case cooling.
Noctua NF-A9-14 PWM + NA-RC10 + custom case for the power supply.
E3D NEMA 17 stepper motors 0.9°, 1.68A as X/Y motors replacement.
Depite StealthChop being activated, the original stepper motors were super loud.
Addition of dampers for the X/Y stepper motors.
Replacement of the 50x15 blower for part cooling with a 50x20 blower (Mechatronics Fan Group, B5020L24B-BSR). Custom fan shroud to fit the new fan.
Replacement of the two 30mm heat-sink fans with 2x Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX using a custom mount (https://www.forum.makertech3d.com/forum/proforge-3-general-discussion/dsh-heatsink-fan-upgrade).
Setup Marlin to allow firmware update with OctoPrint. https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint-FirmwareUpdater/blob/master/doc/lpc176x.md
[platformio] src_dir = Marlin boards_dir = buildroot/share/PlatformIO/boards default_envs = BIGTREE_SKR_2_USB // Allowing connection from Pi to SKR_2 include_dir = Marlin
#define FAST_PWM_FAN // Increase the fan PWM frequency. Removes the PWM noise but increases heating in the FET/Arduino #if ENABLED(FAST_PWM_FAN) #define FAST_PWM_FAN_FREQUENCY 329U // Silencing the blower fan when not at 100 %
#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR #if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR) #define FIL_RUNOUT_ENABLED_DEFAULT true // Enable the sensor on startup. Override with M412 followed by M500. #define NUM_RUNOUT_SENSORS 2 // Number of sensors, up to one per extruder. Define a FIL_RUNOUT#_PIN for each. #define FIL_RUNOUT_STATE HIGH // Workaround to use the M412 S1 for filament runout detection
3 Current issues
Frame is not sturdy and not at 90° angle => enclosure do not close properly
Fan of enclosure do not work or is not reacting to M106 P2.
May you post a photo of your rigidity upgrade?? It will be really appreciated😋
The frame rigidity can be fixed by having wires pull it straight. I bought 90° turn connectors (those right angle connectors that can't turn and have 2 holes in total). I put them at all 8 corners. Connected them with steel wire with spanners. Tightened it until the frame was square and the resonance frequency was in the upper 50's (I'm using klipper). It is going to be really good in the Y direction but due to the door still needing to open it is going to be "only" decent in the X direction. (58Hz y, 46Hz x).
Edit: The stuff I bought. Feel free to adjust it or use other methods. Don't over tighten it or you are going to buckle your top or bottom frame.
right angle connectors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001406574630.html
Steel cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989494316.html
crimp connectors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32993894210.html