Thought I'd share my results with the printer as it might help others. Feel free to share your results as well.
This 3dbenchy above is 3 weeks old now and was my 3rd print that made it beyond the brim and couple of first layers. The only changes to the AXIS were:
1) Exchange of the plastic coupling with a metal D20L25. This is smaller than the also recommended D25L30 which I also have around but not tried yet.
2) Swapping the 0.3mm nozzle with a 0.4mm nozzle from the power pack. The 0.3mm got clogged during some earlier (failing) test prints.
Here are also some failed prints next to the "not so bad" benchy:
The benchy on the right was with the clogged 0.3mm nozzle. The thing in the front was after changing to the 0.4mm nozzle with a too low Z-Offset and/or some irregularity in the filament that created the blob which then moved the whole bottom layers around on the print bed. This is some worse case scenario when leaving the printer alone - which I would not recommend for the AXIS anyway.
All the mechanical inaccuracies and instabilities
- don't have to add much to this topic, guess it's well known by now
- haven't tried any of the structural suggestions or modifications yet
- tried to exchange the plastic lead screw nut with a metal anti-backlash nut but I could only barely move the z-axis by hand so removed it again
Stringing and other filament issues
- the blue filament came with the air-tight bag broken so it might have drawn to much moisture already
- need to check correct nozzle temperature, maybe do a PID tuning
- the print parts fan speed seems to spin to high
- not visible in the picture of the benchy but there is a lot of xy skew (about 5mm in x for 100mm in y)
- related to the general mechanical issues with this printer
- currently investigating and trying to correct this (will do another post for this)
- don't have a heated bed so it's a bit more difficult
- larger parts (xy) are coming of the bed after ~10mm of print layers
- might be related to the print parts fan speed too high (also don't have the fan shroud yet)
- haven't tried to print with glue, tape or other helpers yet
4 weekends to assemble and de-bug. This is my very first Benchy!
So far so good - now lets start optimizing ;-)
Caterpillar print with limited joint